15 Things I Love about Hampton Roads in the Summer
Ahhh, sweet summertime...when the traffic is lighter and the sun burns brighter!
Even though the pace may be slower, there are still lots of things to do. Here are my top 15, in no particular order:
1. Water Country. There's nothing better than cooling off and having fun at the same time! It can get crowded, but there's plenty to do for the whole family!
2. Fresh Tomatoes and Corn on the Cob. Whether you grow your own, or visit one of the many farmers' markets around town, there is nothing better than biting into a sweet tomato or fresh corn on the cob off the grill!
3. Farmers' Markets. From Virginia Beach to Williamsburg, there is a farmer's market almost every day of the week! Local meats, cheese, eggs, and produce, as well as artisan soaps and goodies are on display and ready to be enjoyed.
4. Lightning Bugs. There is something so magical about seeing little flickers of light in the night!
5. Going for Ice Cream. A staple of summer evenings in our family.
6. Crabbing. Need I say more?
7. Outdoor Concerts. What's more fun than spending an evening with a picnic blanket, food, drinks, friends, and free concerts? Located throughout the Peninsula, where there is a concert, a food truck is nearby!
8. Local Breweries. Micro-breweries have been popping up like crazy around here, and I'm not mad about it! Some are kid and dog-friendly too! I love that along with a chance to taste locally-made beer, the food is also on-point.
9. Baseball. Our local team is the Norfolk Tides, but you can also catch baseball on any field during the summertime.
10. Thunderstorms. A good thunderstorm after a hot day is the perfect way to fall asleep.
11. A Day at the Beach. Luckily, we have so many beaches to choose from, that you can spend your summer beach-hopping and rarely visiting the same batch twice. Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but we DO have a lot of beaches!
12. Crepe Myrtles. Now one of Hampton Roads most popular plants, the Crepe Myrtle is still called “the tree of one hundred days” due to its long flowering period. It’s a year round beauty and it loves the heat and humidity of a Hampton Roads summer.
13. Sunset Cruises on the York River. Whether a pirate cruise or a historic cruise, the York River is full of history, beauty, and fun!
14. Busch Gardens. There is enough to do for the entire family to spend a whole day at Busch Gardens.
15. Fall is right around the corner! Yes, that's right...as much as I love Summer, there is even more to do in autumn!